According to one of the twin-founders of the Anglican Church in Warri, Mr. Charles Henry Palmer Kamp, the Anglican Church was founded at about 1902 by one Mr. Taylor a Sierra Leonean Treasury Clerk, whose parents were Christians. History has it that they started meeting at the Old Police Barrack, the site on which the Male Ward of the General Hospital, Warri now stands. There they would say the Lord’s Prayer together and Taylor would then say the Grace and that was the end of the service; only two of them. After sometime, Taylor started to appeal to the other Sierra Leoneans to attend his service and as the congregation increased they shifted to Chief Dogho’s Court which is now the Chief Magistrate Court in the Government Reservation Area (G.R.A).
James Johnson who for a long time had turned down the offer of post of Assistant Bishop in the hope that he could work up the Niger Delta Pastorate to an extent where it would be created into an autonomous Diocese and he will be made the Diocesan Bishop, finally accepted the post he had earlier rejected when his initial hopes were dashed.
Accordingly, he was consecrated an Assistant Bishop to Rt. Revd. Herbert Tugwell on 18th February, 1900. Thereafter, he made his maiden visit to Warri and Sapele in July 1901. In his first Episcopal Mission, he organized the Anglican Christians in Warri into a proper worshipping community. However, some of them had been his parishioners when he was the Vicar of the Church Missionary Society (C.M.S) Breadfruit Church, Lagos.
During one of his visits, remarked that he could o longer continue to worship in a house where criminals were condemned. There and then he suggested that they should build a church. In 1911, the foundation was laid and within three months the building was completed along the Robert Road on the premises of the former St. Andrew’s Anglican School now Mowoe Primary school and was dedicated on 25th June 1911. At this time, there was no Pastor, no organ, no pews and no hymn books. Later, Mr. C. King who was a lover of music bought an organ for the church.
Later Reverend John was sent to Warri by Bishop James Johnson as a resident Priest in about 1911. At the time, Warri was still under Patian District. The Reverend W.D. Bum Billy Wright and Garbutt were also visiting Priests Patani. However, the Warri District Church Council was formed in 1938.
With the creation of Warri District Church Council it was suggested in the District Council that a larger Church Building should be erected which may in future serve as a Cathedral for Warri Diocese.