Subsequently, on February 21st, 1939 at 5.00pm, a foundation stone of a larger and modern church was laid on the present site of St. Andrew’s Anglican Cathedral, 22 Okere Road, Warri. The church building was completed in 1960 after 21 years and was dedicated on St. Andrew’s Day November 30th, 1960 by the Diocesan Bishop who later became the Archbishop of the Province of West Africa His Grace Most Rev. Dr. Cecil John Patterson with the Rev. Canon Christopher ObiefunaIwuno as the Warri District Superintendent.
In order to give adequate Pastoral care to the new converts in the area, it was not enough to post European Missionaries, West Indian Missionaries, etc to the area. What was needed if the church was to be deeply rooted in Warri District was the training of indigenes. Without indigenous priests the young churches in Warri District was the training of indigenes. Without indigenous priests the young churches in Warri District would not be properly and effectively administered. This need led to the sending of Agori-Iwe to St. Andrew’s College Oyo in 1924 to be trained as a Catechist and a Higher Elementary Teacher. Later he went to St. Paul’s College, Awka in 1937 where he was trained for priesthood and ordained as a Priest in that year.